Memorial and Information Point for the Victims of National Socialist »Euthanasia« Killings

Picture: Memorial and Information Point for the Victims of National Socialist »Euthanasia« Killings, Photo: Marko Priske

From April 1940, the headquarters of the operation that initiated, coordinated and carried out the mass murder of patients from clinics and care homes in the Third Reich were located in Tiergartenstraße 4 in Berlin. The operation was codenamed »T 4« or simply »Aktion« (»Operation«). Over 70,000 people died as a result of this operation before it was halted on 24 August 1941 following public protests. The murders began with the outbreak of war in September 1939 and continued throughout the German Reich and in many occupied territories, especially in Eastern Europe, both after the »euthanasia stop« in August 1941 and after the invasion of the Soviet Union in June 1941. The classification, »selection« and murder of these patients made this the first centrally organised and systematic process of mass murder carried out by the Nazis. »T 4« was however only one aspect of the violent crimes carried out against patients from clinics and care homes. Researchers estimate that a total of 300,000 people died as a result of the so-called euthanasia programme in Europe. However, there are still no reliable figures, especially for Eastern Europe.

In November 2011, the German Bundestag voted to establish a »Memorial to the Victims of National Socialist ›Euthanasia‹ Killings« on the historic grounds of the administrative headquarters of the T4 programme. The state of Berlin subsequently launched a competition to design the memorial. The winning entry by the architect Ursula Wilms and the landscape architects Nikolaus Koliusis and Heinz W. Hallmann consists of a 24-metre-long wall made of clear light blue glass and set into a dark grey concrete surface that gently slopes towards the centre. An outdoor exhibition provides information about the history of the ›euthanasia‹ killings and their legacy up to the present-day. The Memorial was opened to the public on 2nd September 2014.

Opening Times: The memorial is accessible 24 hours a day.

The Memorial and Information Point for the Victims of National Socialist »Euthanasia« Killings and the open air exhibition are accessible without barriers.

Location: Tiergartenstrasse 4, 10785 Berlin, Directions

The historical content of the open-air exhibition was developed by the knowledge transfer project »Remembrance means to commemorate and to inform«, which was funded by the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG).