»The Unknown Extermination Camp at Chełmno nad Nerem«

Picture: The travelling exhibition at the St. Johannes-Evangelist-Kirche in Berlin

On 8 December 1941 – 70 years ago – several hundred Jews were murdered with exhaust fumes in a small village around 70 kilometres northwest of Łódź. The establishment of the killing centre at Chełmno nad Nerem (German name: Kulmhof am Ner) by the SS marked the start of the mass murder of European Jews by the National Socialists using poison gas. This exhibition charts the history of the unknown extermination camp at Chełmno and commemorates the more than 150,000 victims who perished there, including over 2,600 Jews from Berlin. It also shows the traces of the site that remain 70 years after the crime.

Stiftung Neue Synagoge Berlin – Centrum Judaicum, ASSOCIATION T4 RESEARCHTEAM, Der Paritätische Berlin, Deutsch-Russisches Museum Berlin-Karlshorst, Stiftung Denkmal für die ermordeten Juden Europas

For further information on the project, please contact , curator of the exhibition and research associate of the Foundation Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe.